because music can move you.

Friday, April 12, 2013


Holy Smokes. From time to time, I come to find that I'm a real sucker for a great documentary, especially if it pertains to something I am super passionate about. The latest documentary I just finished watching, literally fifteen minutes ago, is filmed by Emmett Malloy called, Big Easy Express featuring Mumford & Son, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes and Old Crow Medicine Show. If you love music, prepare to be moved. 

This is the most genius idea anyone has ever come up with. These three bands, british, hippies and Tennessee blue grassers and all, hop aboard  a vintage California Zephyr Train and make way from San Francisco to New Orleans, stopping through cities along the way and performing live concerts right at the stations. It's a rush. This is America's "Tour of Dreams." 

One of my favorite scenes shown above brought me to goosebumps and tears. One of the stops was Austin, Texas and I am obsessed with the thought of Mumford & Sons making time to sit down with the Austin High School Band and rehearsing a well known Mumford & Sons song. And then BAM, these kids dreams just came true. Not to mention in their hometown, it doesn't get any cooler than that. The minute they appeared on stage in front of a flood of people, I couldn't help but keel over and die. Those high schoolers probably couldn't even think straight during the moment. Their lives had just been made. If that were me on stage, I would have straight up wet myself and I would have been bawling so uncontrollably that I wouldn't been able to hold up the weight of my trumpet.

If I were Mumford & Sons, this would be the highlight of my career. There is nothing more valuable and no greater feeling then seeing the emotion of pure joy light up on these kids faces. It would be an honor to work with such talented and spirited kids who have such high expectations and will reach them sooner than later. It's glimpses of life such as this that overwhelm me with love and happiness. This sort of thing makes me want to lift up my hands and toss all the lousy wasteful negative things going on in life and realize that there is so much good in this world. When I see the smiles on these kids faces, I can't help but think, "what's there not to be happy about?" Life is good. 

I just had to show and share this amazing moment for these kids, and a ridiculous performance of "The Cave." You have to go check out the film, Big Easy Express. It may not change your life, but it reminds you of how wonderful music is and the joy it can bring to a mass of souls. I'm just so in love with this film. Thank you Emmett Malloy for capturing the beauty of bringing people together through music. 

3 comments:

brooke elyse said...

WHERE did you watch this?! Netflix? Hulu? I'm a fan of well done documentaries and considering I'm a huge music lover and Mumford & Sons lover, this looks right up my alley.

xo

Unknown said...

i loved this post, its super cool! & i love your blog so much! i nominated you for the liebster award if you're interested! http://www.kerryjune.com/2013/04/liebster-award.html

Zoe Bleak said...

I was at this Railroad Revival Tour show in Austin that summer!! It was seriously the best concert I have ever been to. Tears. Real tears were shed.

If you ever have the opportunity to see Mumford&Sons live- take it. No matter how much it costs. They are spectacular.

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground