connecticut.

Monday, December 17, 2012


I know it's all been on everyones mind about the unfortunate event in Connecticut. It's a horrible thing to turn on the news and learn of others misfortunes and see children lose their lives too soon. The whole situation is hard to wrap your head around. When you sit back and watch the news, and keep up with the updated facts of the situation, you can't help but say to yourself how scary the world we live in is, how you feel you can't trust anyone but yourself. When in reality, i don't think that's the case. Though there is a lot of bad in this world, I think we need to focus more on the good and when we do that, the world will become more beautiful and loving. It's the news that brainwashes us into believing the horrible negatives of the world.

Actor morgan freeman (whom i admire) put it brilliantly into words regarding Connecticut's nightmare on Friday. He said,

   "You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why. 

     It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris are household names, but do you know a single VICTIM of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

      CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox New has plastered the killer's face on all their reports hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

       You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news." - MORGAN FREEMAN

Pretty blunt I know, but to a degree it's so true. Thankfully within the past couple of days I have seen articles of the news regarding the victims and mourning for them, but I had the same thoughts. I was watching the news and they had a student at the school over the phone tell them verbatim what he saw and what he heard during the shooting and I couldn't help but think to myself, "He's a child! Why on earth are you pulling teeth to get him to relive that moment? It's a horrible thing to ask of him. His innocence was just taken away."

I want to thank President Obama, not that he's reading this obviously, but I watched both of his speeches and I was touched. I was very thankful with how he handled the situation, with the love that he spoke with and the fact that he reverently announced and acknowledged every victim in the Connecticut shooting. He did it slowly and he did it in a way with love and with humility. It hit me hard. It turned my attention to those heros and victims and it broke  my heart.

I do think, and want to give credit to my personal social media because everything that has been posted or plastered on the web has been dedicated to the teachers who became heros and lost their lives for these kids, and for the children who lost their lives too soon. Nothing has been said about the shooter. Nothing has been said about the number count of lives being lost. Everything was of solitude and sending their prayers and thoughts to the families who went home feeling helpless. And ironically, seeing everyone in the United States come together as a nation, as Americans to support their fellow Americans in a time of loss really was beautiful to see and to reminds us, that though the world is scary, and yes there are some awful people out there, there also is a lot of good. And if the news focused more on the good, I think it could change and effect the bad. It doesn't cost anything to be nice to people, and that's how we can begin to change the bad ; to show affection, to show service, to show sympathy, to show kindness and humility. It's what the world needs. Support.

Here's a personal comparison which may come off really stupid but honestly, it's the truth. I dont mind Oprah, but I can't watch her show. She means nothing but good, I know that. But every time I have tried to tune it, it was a negative story, something bad that's happened to someone and she brings them on the show to highlight the bad and have the person relive the moments that most likely haunt them. I just always remember feeling put down, or sad or thinking, there is so much bad in this world. So I choose to not watch Oprah's show. I can't fill my life with negativity. I know to not be naive and think that this world is a perfect place but at the same time, I'd rather revolve my life around happy people, good people, people who pick themselves up from tragedies and rather than hearing the horrific story, I love to hear their heroic story and how they decided to change their lives or gain the good from their misfortunes. I love to hear about deeds, good deeds and service. I hated hearing all of the negativity about Hurricane Sandy, it broke my heart, but when I heard/watched the passionate service that was given to those struggling towns from their fellow American people, I was touched, and I shed tears of joy and proudness. And instead of highlighting the negativity, it highlighted the good in people and if anything, it brought a nation together. That's what I love. And that's why I choose to watch Ellen Degeneres' show. I don't think there is anyone happier in the media than this woman. And for that, she is loved and people crave her because thats what we need everyday, is a good laugh, a happy story, a story about service and good deeds. I find myself crying when I watch her show whether it be crying because she did something hilarious with the people involved at her show, or becomes she highlighted service being done in the year 2012 for people in need. Positivity is contagious. That is why people are drawn to her, because when a day is gloomy, when times get tough, when trials dig deep, we just want to be loved.

Sorry, that is just what came to mind when Freeman emphasized how the media craves and displays the negativity, because that is what sells. It just reminded me Ellen, and how she is a form of media that praises GOOD.

I think it's amazing that this video of goodness is being shared all over the web after Connecticut's disaster. People have become saddened over the fact that something so horrible could happen and that this world is a horrible place. We just need to stop and remember the good.


In this time of trouble and heartbreak, let's focus on the lives of the victims and their goodness. Let's commend them for their heroic decisions the teachers had to make to save the lives of other children. And let's remember to focus on them and the children and their goodness and the beautiful lives that they lived, and the wonderful legends they left behind. Let's pray for their families and keep them close in our hearts. And let's remember the goodness of this world. And let us not forget the love of our Heavenly Father, and through him we can be comforted and learn to love with compassion and to forgive as a child would. And know that He is always with us and He'll never leave our side.

"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard... do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."

My heart is with Connecticut.



      

No comments:

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground