the seventh of may.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013





May 7th has always been a special day for me, just as any birthday would be for anyone else. But I truly love May. Everything about the month brings such happiness and it's always a joy to start the month off with my birthday.

May is one pretty little lady, with her flowers blossomed and lush, with occasional southern thunderstorms treating me every so often growing up. It was the month school was let out so it was the best of both worlds, it was spring one week and summer the next. Every thing and every one is so alive and giddy.

I wanted to bring that back to Utah this year for my twenty-fourth. People say twenty-four is a good age. I can't help but believe them, and I have to remind myself that any age in your twenties is going to be a good year. So I'm taking it all in. I told myself by making a New Years Resolution that I'd practice my southern cooking and learn to master the food I grew up on and share it with my friends. What better occasion then your birthday? I always corner myself into a project that's very much over my head, but I secretly think I love a good challenge. I'm pretty sure I get it from my mama.

So with that said, I made up a menu of fried cajun pickles, with a remoulade sauce, jalapeno cheddar cheese grits and bbq chicken, and Minnie's Chocolate Pie. I was going to attempt beignets, but when I realized the heavy load I was carrying already and the fact that my friends had actually piled into my bungalow on time, I just had to throw in the towel at some point.

It was good though, real good. The original plan was to eat outside under the trees in mine and the Zoo's backyard, and I have been dreaming of this day in the warm weather since we set foot in the bungalow, but it didn't happen when thunderstorms decided to roll in, forcing us to move inside. At first, I was pretty bummed, I can't lie to you about that. But when I was alone by myself today, cooking familiar smells from back home with Ray Charles singing in the background and all of a sudden the ground shook with thunder, I got a little giddy and was instantly flooded with memories of home. And I accepted it, and treated it as a birthday gift from above.

Tonight couldn't have been more perfect. It was low key, I had great company, and the Zoo couldn't have been any more wonderful. He was such a big help, coming home early from work to help me finish cooking - eh I admit, I didn't fully make all of the food completely by myself, but I was desperate on time here. But I loved that he wanted to make it work for me. I can say, as much fun as I had, I won't be throwing parties anytime soon. Like forever. They are great and all but boy do they kick the can right out from under you. I can tell you right now, I am spending my day tomorrow doing loads of dishes and watching my tv shows in bed and I don't even care. Im whooped. Im whooped and I'm happy. Happy to be alive.

Happy Birthday to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okayyyyy, this is the cutest. Just came across your blog and I love it :) if you'd like to do a button swap or anything check out my blog and let me know!

Thesilverlining-home.blogspot.com
Thanks! -Katie

Mickelle said...

you are the cutest. Happy late birthday!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Happy Birthday! I love every last little thing about this party! I love it. Happy you had such a great day :)

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground