back to basics.

Friday, August 20, 2010

one thing most of you (minus my family) don't know about me is that I love to do oil paintings.
(most of my paintings below from high school)

(high fashion model Gemma Ward)

I mostly did oil paintings in high school because I took art every semester of all four years of my high school career. so i was forced, and I was given an hour or two every day to do what i love to do. since i've been in college, i really don't find time to paint.
it's been a little annoying and i always fear that im going to loose the skills since i never find time to practice.
(high fashion model Gemma Ward)

Luckily, I have a week of free time before school starts and I've been taking advantage of every hour. I move into my new apartment next week and I was lucky enough to get the lounge. Unfortunately, the lounge needs some work. It literally looks like a primary room in the church building. I don't have much furniture and I plan to paint the walls and spruce up the place to make it my own. I found a dresser at D.I. for $30.00 and took the baby home with me. It reeked like the 60's and I questioned wether I could really do much to it.
(high fashion models Dara & Gemma)

Well the painting has begun and I really think I'm on a roll. I decided to paint the dresser a really light creamy yellow. It's coming out a little lighter than I would have liked it to be, but I'll deal. The next step I plan to take is to sketch a floral/aztec-like design on the drawers in white. wish me luck, this is a stretch.
(actress Kate Hudson)

Another project I am currently working on right now, which ties in with my thirst for painting is ANOTHER PAINTING! yahoo!!! Now, in case you couldn't tell, I love to paint people. I love to get into detail with their hair, makeup, and clothing. Unfortunately, when I paint this subject matter it takes me a couple of months to do the whole she-bang.
(prisma color drawing : Lilly Pulitzer Ad)

So I have decided to do a more decorative painting to add a little to my new room. I took a design off of Rifle Co. (one of my favorite wedding save-the-dates) and covered a whole 18x24 canvas with the print. I've decided to choose my own colors to fill the design that will go along with the color scheme of my room. Weird enough, I got the color scheme from a Kate Spade Ad & a Hermes Perfume bottle. Random, I know.
Looking at this inspiration now, Im kind of wishing I painted the dresser a dark cream color. now I am kicking myself. whatever.
(high fashion model Gemma Ward)

So that is that. And I'm really happy with how I have been spending my past week. I've been having so much fun being by myself. I never thought I could go this long without going insane. I wake up around 8:30 and get-a-workin. I feel like Im running my own business. this is a fun thing I've got going on.
(high fashion model : Gemma Ward)
(actress Kate Hudson)
(high fashion model Gemma Ward)

Im back in my zone.
I'll keep you kids posted on my projects.

p.s. embroidery anthro rug/canvas is still hanging in there.
I plan to finish it by Christmas.
Seriously, that's my goal...

5 comments:

Nicole said...

um can we please paint together when I get back up there?! You are just great and I love you.

Ed and Amanda said...

whoa rachel i forgot how good you were and I haven't seen like half of those paintings! My favorite is the kate hudson one in the red dress, I love it so much!

Sarah Young said...

Holy crap Rachel! I had no idea you had such mad painting skillz! I wish we lived closer so you could teach my girlies art lessons!

KaycieQ said...

wow rachel...those are way good! i did not know you painted. i could not do that if my life depended on it!

Rachel said...

wow, you are REALLY amazing!

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground