Venizia, Italia Part II

Sunday, July 19, 2015

^ I love, love, love sculptures. Bernini & Rodin are my role models and so when ever I see any sort of sculpture or relief, I stop dead in my tracks and marvel over the beauty. If I could, I would honestly have full body sculptures & head busts all over my home. Don't be surprised if one day when we have a pool in the yard (wishful thinking) it will be lined with sculptures, and they could be nude too (its fine when it's art). 

^ Dodge's Palace. It's about time I saw the real thing. 

 ^ Zekey perfectly color coordinated with Venice. That-a-boy.

^ The Venice Customs House
^ I love this place. I love this place. I can't get enough of this place. Oh how I love this place. 

 ^ Symmetry at it's finest. And look at the bird. Oh he made me so happy when he landed on that head. It's the little things. 

^ The Lion of Venice is seen everywhere. Sculpted as a relief on buildings, or seen as stand alone sculptures. The Lion symbolizes the city Venice as well as their patron saints, Saint Mark. 
 ^ The intricate detailing is remarkable. Absolutely remarkable.

 ^ Look at the shells carved in. Do you see the shell? I love it. 

  ^ Detailed shot of The Procuratie Vecchie which was constructed in the 12th Century. The covered sidewalks along The Procuratie Vecchie echo with live music and bands and at dusk, the window shops & cafe's add the most magical glow throughout the halls. You could feel how aged this building was and how gracefully Procuratie Vecchie had aged. I really felt as though the present slipped from me and I was living a night in the 12th century of Venice. So corny, I know, but there really was magic in the air that night. 

^ Campanile di San Marco (The Bell Tower) is one of the most photographed structures in the world! 

Piazza San Marco, Basilica di San Marco, Rialto Bridge, Campanile San Marco & Palazzo Ducale are a few of my favorite things in the whole wide world. I'm in love with Venezia, Italia! How is it possible that Italy keeps getting better and better? Even though the weather was a bit gloomy with gray skies & misty rains, the romance and magic was still alive. In fact, the weather fit perfectly with the mood in Venice that day and night. It was sort of eerie and the forecast had warned that the city would flood that night at 9:30 pm, on the dot. Apparently, this happens often enough to where locals had their routine down for a flood but it didn't happen enough to where we were all told how lucky we were to be able to experience Venice "under water" if you will.

They weren't lying. The water along the edge of the Venetian Lagoon was rising as well as the waters in all of the canals. Doors and windows of each building were slowly going under and then before you knew it, water was seeping through the cracks and holes of the grounds in the middle of San Marco Square. It was so exciting and all of the tourists were splashing around in the floods while rain decided to trickle down. It was so much fun. It really added to our experience in Venice.

Zeke loved Venice. He says it was his favorite city of the whole trip. He also loved exploring all of the Basilica's in each city in Italy and the Basilica di San Marco was his favorite. It was eerie, for sure. The inside was very dark with lots of black, bronze and gold detailing and you just knew that that place was filled with dark secrets from the past, or so I like to tell myself that because it's more fun that way.

I on the other hand, can't give you ONE city that I loved the best. But I will say this - there were some cities I enjoyed but wasn't wowed by and probably won't ever go back, but Venice; Venice fell into the category of 'favorite cities in the world that I've been to'. If a city is rich in history, art, architecture & great food, then I am sold and will be dreaming of it for the rest of my life. Venice was just that. But lets keep it straight that I do love Rome more than Venice, but I still love Venice. But when I say that, I feel like I'm cheating on my love for Rome. Rome is my most favorite city on the map thus far. Okay?


No comments:

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground